GUYS, I’ve been singing this to myself for years!
Last year, after hearing about a really neat Halloween song set to the classical work, Danse Macabre by Saint-Saens, I did some research (letting my fingers do the walking) and found an online audio clip with scratches, et al, from a recording made in 1969. I never anticipated the number of hits I’d receive *this* year from that same post.
Recently, in the comments section for that post, I’ve had numerous requests for the lyrics to the hands-down Halloween favorite, ‘”H – A – double L – O – W – double E – N” spells Halloween’, so, by popular request, included with the audio clip, here they are!
“H – A – double L – O – W – double E – N” spells Halloween,
“H – A – double L – O – W – double E – N” spells Halloween!
Halloween means ghosts & goblins,
Skeletons, monsters, &…
View original post 442 more words
Last night I went and saw Kimbra play some music live. My friend Trent and I began the evening by waiting in line to get into the show. We were directly behind this cute little girl in a leopard print dress including a black tu tu. To top everything off, her shoes were actually bright red, fuzzy slippers with little claws. She had a cat obsession, clearly.
The wonderful thing about this little girl was how playful she was, and that special something that warmed my heart: she was reading comics. [this post was just interrupted by a package being delivered for a book called “Reading Comics” which is not the book I was hoping to read on the plane, but, oh well, I still got a book] This little girl was full of energy taking her mom’s phone to use as a flashlight at the tables near the back of the venue (we ended up sitting behind them). She was reading away first with a Sonic the Hedgehog comic and then with some sort of Angry Birds space picture book. You could tell her mom was there for the music and this girl was there to satisfy her mom and to read books.
(The best quote from her was right before The Stepkids (who were reallllly bad) started playing another song and she exclaimed, “OH NO NOT AGAIN!”)
In case you haven’t gleaned from previous posts, I am an avid advocate for children’s comics. I believe that companies should devote more time to fostering creative energy in children and start them early on comics. Instead of the five titles a month coming out of the “Big Two” why not double or triple that? You can tell that they have some sense of trying to get kids on comics, but that’s only one day of the year: Free Comic Book Day. The comic companies are aware that children read comics, but they’re so caught up in appealing to this artificial white men, teens to 40s demographic that they don’t realize comics are for everyone! This little girl is an example, Archie is appealing not only to the much younger generation’s demographic but also the little girls’ demographic.
Comics deserve to be in hands and read by everyone. Companies should put emphasis on all readers rather than just alienating everyone outside of the superficial demographic. Luckily, the “Big Two” aren’t the only ones making comics and the others know how to focus on kids. Still, the “Big Two” have the (some) more recognizable characters so they should put an increased amount of effort into children’s comics.
Unfortunately, the little girl and her mom left right before the show was over. I was going to get their attention and tell them, “hey, some of the best comics around for people your age are ____…”
Here’s a list that could have filled in the blank:
- Tiny Titans
- Johnny Boo
- Uncle Scrooge
- Mega Man
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Tin Tin
- and many others.
It’s funny and sad that the video people in 1988 had no idea what the fuck was happening in the song so they wouldn’t cut to the right person.
I think I’m just going to update with the music I’ve been listening to lately…
For now, get back in the swing of things, hollllllllahhhdayz.
Played Pokémon Stadium while drunk with Ashley last night. Couldn’t stop laughing at stoned Venusaur:
Sexual Flareon was also pretty weird:
Awhile ago, I posted an extensive playlist of the songs that give me the chills. This all involved music videos and such. It was very overwhelming. Since then, I have made many changes and added a shitload of new songs. So, here’s the playlist I wrote before my previous hard drive crashed (YAY!).
If you like a couple of these songs, I HIGHLY recommend checking out the other artists. They slightly vary in genre, but they’re all amazing. Unfortunately, all of my older music and blues isn’t on the playlist yet… and I can only choose one Leadbelly song (*gasp*).
- Super Furry Animals – All the Shit U Do
- Goldfrapp – Number 1
- Talkdemonic – Ending the Orange Glow
- Cat Power – In This Hole
- Mirah – Don’t Die in Me
- Ugly Casanova – Barnacles
- The Ruby Suns – Sun Lake Rinsed
- The Do – On My Shoulders
- Sparklehorse – Piano Fire
- Miike Snow – Song for No One
- At Last An Atlas – New Years Sky
- Yo La Tengo – Damage
- Odawas – One Step
- Godspeed You! Black Emperor – Moya
- The Whitest Boy Alive – Gravity
- Land of Talk – Speak to Me Bones
- How To Dress Well – Cold Nites
- Sunset Rubdown – The Empty Threats of Little Lord
- Laura Veirs – Galaxies
- Menomena – My My
- Department of Eagles – Phantom Other
- The Arcade Fire – My Body is A Cage
- Leonard Cohen – Who By Fire
- Black Moth Super Rainbow – Drippy Eye
- Bat For Lashes – Horse and I
- El Perro Del Mar – Party
- Baths – Hall
- The Octopus Project – Queen
- Chairlift – Planet Health
- Tune-Yards – Doorstep
- The Kills – Tape Song
- Akron Family – Many Ghosts
- Shelby Sifers – Are You Devo (The Spirituals Remix)
- The Microphones – I Felt Your Shape
- Headphones – Slow Car Crash
- Eels – I’m Going to Stop Pretending That I Didn’t Break Your Heart
- Bonnie ‘Prince’ Billy – I See a Darkness
- A Lull – Skinny Fingers (Alternate Version)
- Radiohead – Climbing Up The Walls
- Broken Social Scene – Shampoo Suicide
- Final Fantasy – The CN Tower Belongs To The Dead
- Hooray for Earth – No Love
- Destroyer – It’s Gonna Take an Airplane
- Handsome Furs – Officer of Hearts
- Dirty Projectors – Stillness Is The Move
- The Knife – You Make Me Like Charity
- Physics of Meaning – Manhattan Is An Island
- Sufjan Stevens – For The Widows In Paradies
- Fibes, Oh Fibes! – ! (Take No)
- Thao & Mirah – Spaced out Orbit
- Modest Mouse – Spitting Venom
- Alaska in Winter – Close Your Eyes – We Are Blind
- Swan Lake – Are You Swimming In Her Pools?
- Pattern Is Movement – Crazy in Love
- Iron and Wine – Cinder And Smoke
- Mount Eerie – Between Tow Mysteries
- Devendra Banhart – Fall
- Yuuki Matthews – HK Cinematic Funk
- Purity Ring – Crawlersout
- Julie Doiron – No More
- Port O’Brien – Will You Be There?
- Beatbeat Whisper – Old River
- Brasstronaut – Bounce
- A Weather – Spiders, Snakes
- Mystery Jets – Radlands
- Jose Gonzales – Remain
- Twin Sister – Daniel
- The Album Leaf – Thule
- The BLOW – Parentheses
- Portland Cello Project – Remedy
- Kaki King – Gay Sons of Lesbian Mothers
- Gregory And The Hawk – Boats and Birds
- PJ Harvey – Man-Size Sextet
- Sigur Ros – Hoppipolla
- Oh No! Oh My! – The Backseat
- The Dodos – Undeclared
- The Flaming Lips – Do You Realize??
- Faded Paper Figures – Rewind
- Kings of Convenience – The Build Up
Also, I’d like to add a note: I have not blogged any new posts… at all. This will, unfortunately, become more common. I have just entered my Masters program which involves an extensive amount more work thus less free time. I’m still going to try my hardest and hopefully use writing this to help warm me up for some more extensive writing.
If anything, here’s a photo of me in my new office with my one decoration: